Identify and fill U.S. supply chain gaps Description:
Reshoring Initiative® (RI) has developed a list of targeted supply chain gaps, product categories that meet the following criteria:
- No or minimal domestic production
1. Manufacturer or EDO identifies products of interest, focusing on:
- EDO: Large usage in the region. RI can provide data on regional imports. Good fit with local skills.
- Manufacturer: Good match to technical competence and industry served. RI can provide data on products in selected HS codes.
- Significant domestic assembly of downstream products that require the product.
- Likelihood that more domestic assembly would occur if the gaps were filled.
- Chinese imports because companies are finding new sources for such due to the tariffs and Chinese wage increases.
2. RI will help with the process.
3. Manufacturer or EDO pick five products to explore.
4. RI provides for each product picked:
- Largest foreign suppliers
- Whether there is substantial domestic production.
5. Manufacturer decides which products to start producing.
6. EDO seeks domestic firms or one of the identified foreign suppliers to become the only or first domestic source by opening a local factory to produce the products and fill the gap.
7. Reshoring Initiative provides training on the TCO Estimator
to quantify which products will be most competitive domestically manufactured vs. imports. This analysis will be helpful in picking products to actually pursue and in convincing importers to buy newly available domestic products. Background:
Decades ago, the U.S. was almost 100% self-sufficient. Manufacturing hollowed out due to offshoring. Steve Jobs and Tim Cook have both said that Apple does not assemble product in the U.S. because so many components are not available here. Availability:
Supply Chain Gaps Program access can be obtained two ways:
How to proceed:
Preview the Supply Chain Gap Input Form
. (You can also see a filled out sample form
Reshoring Initiative® firstname.lastname@example.org